A SCRIPTED time line comparing the Roman Republic to the Roman Empire
Created by CafePaige on Jan 25, 2011
Last updated: 01/27/11 at 11:52 AM
Paige's Roman Republic and Empire has no followers yet. Be the first one to follow.
In the begining of the Roman Empire dictators came into play because of massive civil wars within Rome. These dictators then changed to emperors in 60 CE with Julius Caesar.
Both the Roman Republic and the Roman Empire had Senates. These Senates were elected by Centuries.
The Roman Republic started out being governed by a council of elders. Later these positions were given to people who could directly trace their ancestors to the council of elders, this group of people is called the Senate. They were overseen by 2 consuls.
The culture of the Empire was largely dominated by poetry. Poets like Virgil created new ways to express poetry. Romanization also spread the Latin language and the Roman way of life (including poetry) to other parts of the world.
Both cultures had the majority of their citizens farming. Even though the Roman Empire was an urban empire, still most Romans lived in outside the cities on farms. The Roman Republic was a military society, this translated into the Empire through brutal sports.
The roman people were separated into two groups the plebeian and patricians. The Patricians could directly trace their lineage to the original Romans, they made up about 10% of the population, and made all decisions for the Roman Republic. The Plebeians made up the other 90% of the population. They were the poor working class.
With the rise of the Empire, the Romans started to worship the Emperors as gods. Christianity soon started to come on the map in 45 CE when Paul traveled through Syria-Palestine, Anatolic, and Greece spreading the word of Christianity. Most Romans didn't take to the new religion right away though. It was officially created Rome's official religion in 324 CE.
Starting during the Republic, Judaism was a major religion in Rome. The religion carried through to the Empire.
Started out with a pantheon of Gods, but because the Republic was expanding rapidly, there were several other religions practiced in the Roman Republic.