With 50 years of leadership in Oregon the School of Social Work is a place where academic excellence is matched with community engagement, continuing education, and research that makes a difference. The School of Social Work is committed to the enhancement of the individual and society. We are dedicated to social change and to the attainment of social justice for all people, the eradication of poverty, the empowerment of those who are oppressed, the rights of all individuals and groups to determine their destiny, and the opportunity to live in cooperation.
Created by PSUSSW on Jul 29, 2013
Last updated: 08/08/13 at 03:22 PM
Tags: University School of Social Work Portland State University
Nancy Koroloff, a long time member of the SSW Community is appointed Interim Dean.
Dr. David Springer is appointed Dean of the School of Social Work
The School of Social Work moved to its current location on the 6th floor of the Academic & Student Recreation Center.
2007 - The Child & Family Studies program joined the School, & the Graduate School of Social Work became the School of Social Work. 2008 - The new Bachelor's of Social Work program began. 2009 - The School received its 6th affirmation of accreditation.
The School received its 5th affirmation of accreditation. Kristine Nelson was appointed the 4th Dean of the School.
1995 - The Child Welfare Partnership was created. 1996 - Distance Learning for the Masters of Social Work program was approved. 1997 - The first Ph.D. candidate graduated.
1991 - The Ph.D. program at the Graduate School of Social Work became funded. 1992 - The Ph.D. program at the School admitted its first seven students. 1994 - The School received its 4th reaffirmation of accreditation.
James Ward was appointed the 3rd Dean of the School. The Ph.D. program in Social Work & Social Research was approved.
The School celebrated its 25th anniversary. The School moved to the 4th floor of the University Center Building on 6th and Hall.
The School's undergraduate program was phased out. The School received its 3rd reaffirmation of accreditation. The Research and Training Center on Family Support & Children's Mental Health was funded.
The School's undergraduate program was accredited by CSWE.
Dedication of the Holon sculpture to the retired Dean, Gordon Hearn.
Bernard (Ricky) Ross became the 2nd Dean of the School.
The School received its 2nd reaffirmation of accreditation.
11 students formed the Association of Black Social Workers to "exchange ideas, offer services, & develop programs in the interest of the Black community" as well as induce the School "to be more 'Black community oriented' in...training social workers."
1971 - The School received a grant from the U.S. Department of Health, Education, & Welfare to create the Research Institute on Youth Development & Delinquency Prevention (later known as the Regional Research Institute for Human Services). 1972 - The Regional Research Institute for Human Services opened.
Portland State College became Portland State University.
The School received its first federal grant from the U.S. Public Health Service to establish a field unit for six students at Dammasch State Hospital.
The first 15 MSW students graduated from the School. On the day of Commencement, the School received notification of accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education.
Dr. Rose Thomas, a resource consultant for the 1960 White House Conference on Children & Youth was among the first four faculty members at the Graduate School of Social Work & the first African-American faculty member at PSU. Gordon Hearn was appointed the 1st Dean of the School. The first MSW classes were held in September.
1956 - The Oregon Chapter of NASW issued a report on the need for social work education. 1958 - The Oregon State System of Higher Education appointed a committee to look into the need for the School of Social Work. 1959 - Legislation enabling the creation of the School passed & directed OSSHE to create the School of Social Work. 1961 - Legislation passed that authorized funding for the School of Social Work.