Recent Event Highlights: Gregory Woodward becomes president, Hedberg Library dedicated, F. Gregory Campbell becomes President, Erno Dahl named president, Carthage expands in Kenosha , Harold Lentz becomes President, and 28 more...
Created by abrown5 on Feb 9, 2012
Last updated: 10/17/12 at 02:15 PM
Carthage College, 1847-2012 has no followers yet. Be the first one to follow.
Carthage celebrates 165 years as a school, 50 years in Kenosha, and 25 years under President Campbell.
Campbell arrives to find a college with financial struggles and declining student enrollment. Since his arrival in August 1987, full-time student enrollment has grown from 800 to 2,500, and total enrollment now exceeds 3,400 students.
Anderson is appointed Acting President during the transition from Dahl to Campbell.
After 25 years under Lentz, Dahl is named president of Carthage.
The Illinois campus closes and operations are consolidated in Wisconsin.
Ruth Wick, Vice President and Professor of Psychology, is appointed Acting President. Wick took over the presidential duties when Wee resigned and served until Lentz was elected as the new president of Carthage.
In 1943, Schulz abruptly resigned to accept a parish in Tennessee. The Board of Trustees took less than two weeks to appoint Nelson, professor of education and psychology at Newberry College in South Carolina, as the new President. Nelson was the first lay president at Carthage.
Carthage struggled during the Great Depression to raise money for a new library. At the Commencement of 1942, they finally dedicated the building.
Carthage establishes a sea plane training base on the Mississippi at Nauvoo, IL. This base has the distinction of being the only sea plane training base in the Midwest.
Leading Carthage through the Great Depression, Schulz appeals to alumni for gifts of livestock so that Carthage could develop a farm and provide food for the campus.
Bingaman serves as Acting President for two years after Diehl resigns.
Robert E. Compton and the Quincy Whig Journal were jointly licensed in 1922 to operate a radio station with 300 watts power and “unlimited” time. The call letters assigned were WCAZ. In the same year, Compton became the sole licensee of the station, and in December of 1922 Carthage became a joint licensee with Compton. In 1923, Carthage purchased the station from Compton and became sole owner. In 1924, Carthage allowed the license to expire and the station was deleted by the Federal government. A new license was issued two months later, but was allowed to expire in 1925, and the station was again deleted. A third license was issued in 1926. In 1930, the station was sold back to Compton and the Superior Broadcasting Company. In the sale contract, Carthage was to have time for presenting seven programs each week. The “Carthage College Music Hour” was a daily feature of WCAZ during which Carthage music students presented concerts under faculty supervision. Professor Elmer Hanke was in charge of musical broadcasts.
To support the war effort, Carthage established a Student Army Training Corps on campus. The College housed and fed the recruits while the government provided instructors and paid their tuition. The SATC was only in operation a few months before the Armistice in November 1918.
Dennis Swaney and friends discover Kissing Rock in a farmer's field. Engraved with "Class of 1913" by a local tombstone engraver, the rock becomes a part of campus life.
Hill, Dean of the College, becomes acting president with Sigmund resigns to regain his failing health.
The first of many dormitories to bear the name of Denhart, this hall housed 30 girls.
Four years of Bartholomew's vigilant frugality and tireless fundraising brought Carthage back from the brink of closure. Bartholomew was also responsible for planting Evergreen Walk, an iconic feature of the Carthage, IL campus which is replicated with evergreen shrubs at the current Kissing Rock location.
Detweiler takes over a struggling college and is faced with mounting debt and a faculty body that resigns en masse. The college almost closes, but is saved by bold intervention by Bartholomew.
An early graduate of Carthage (when it was still known as Illinois State University), Easterday was a member of the faculty at Springfield before assuming the position of principal and instructor at the newly opened preparatory school in Carthage, IL. After two years, the preparatory school became Carthage College, and Easterday taught mathematics and astronomy at Carthage for many years before resigning in 1883 to take a post at the University of Nebraska. After the death of Tressler, Easterday served as acting president until the appointment of Kunkelman.
Ever wonder what Carthage's first graduating class looked like? Wonder no more. L-R: J.M. Cromer, Maggie Taylor, Ida Harris, Kate Thummel.
Tressler becomes the first president of the fledgling Carthage College in Carthage, IL. Tressler was quite the busy man--on top of his presidential duties, he was Professor of Latin, Greek, and Belles Lettres, Professor of Moral and Mental Philosophy, and college treasurer!
The college moves to Carthage, IL and takes the name of Carthage College.
Suesserote takes the helm for the last years of Illinois State University.
For the second time in 10 years, Harkey becomes Acting President.
Harkey becomes Acting President in the tumultuous 1850s.
Carthage moves to Springfield, IL and takes the name Illinois State University.
Chartered as The Literary and Theological Institute of the Lutheran Church in the Far West, Carthage is born in Hillsboro, IL. The college soon changes its name to Hillsboro College.