Dipity Help and Frequently Asked QuestionsShow All | Hide All
- What browsers work with Dipity?
- Dipity works with the most common browsers, such as FireFox, Safari, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer. Users find Dipity works best on Google Chrome and Safari.
- Can I print my timeline?
- Very soon! The new version of Dipity will allow users to export their timeline to PDF, making Dipity timelines printable. Please stay tuned to find out when the feature will be ready.
- Where does Dipity get content for web searches?
- Dipity uses a combination of search services and APIs to pull in content from popular websites like YouTube, Flickr, Picasa, Digg, Twitter, Google News, etc.
- Does Dipity own my content? What about my copyright?
- All Dipity data is user-generated and owned. We respect your right to intellectual property and copyright. If you cancel your account, we remove your data and release any and all usage claims we have over the content. Check out Dipity's Terms Of Service for more information.
- How often do RSS feeds update?
- Autoupdating for free accounts is coming soon. For now, only Premium level accounts update automatically. To update your timeline, use the drop down menu under your timeline and click the "Update Sources" button.
- Do you support dates before 100 A.D. or dates B.C.?
- As of March 30, 2011, Dipity now offers dates ranging from 9999 BC to 9999 AD. That's 20 whole millennia!
- How do I enter a BC/BCE date?
- To enter a BC date, simply append the letters "BC" at the end of your date. For example you could write in "4000BC" or "4000 BC" You can also use specific dates, such as "September 21, 1200 BC" The same goes for date ranges. For example, try "4000BC-1200BC"
- Are there any limits on events or sources?
- There is a limit of 150 sources or events on each timeline. If you add more than 150 events or sources, they will not be displayed on your timeline. Upgrade to a premium account to add more than 150 sources or events.
- Is there a way to batch upload / download information on Dipity?
- Dipity offers batch upload and download capabilities exclusively to Premium users. Click here to find out more about Dipity Premium.
- Do you support zoom to the minute level?
- We currently support zoom to the hour, but not zoom to the minute. We are working to implement this feature in the near future. We don't currently zoom to this level, it might be something we'll add in the future. Events do support minutes though so keep adding minute data!
- Can I export my timeline?
- Currently every topic is available as an RSS feed. Simply add '/rss' to the end of the timeline url and you can access the RSS page for that topic. You can also use our developer API to extract data from Dipity for a given topic.
User & Account Settings
- How do I delete my Dipity account?
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your username and we will be happy to remove your account from our servers.
- Can I change my Dipity username once I have created the account?
- Usernames changes are possible and subject to the availability of the desired username. To change your username contact us at support@dipity.
- What is my public profile? Can I hide it?
- Your public profile is the home page for your account. It does not count as one of your three timelines. Use your profile to display personal information such as your Twitter, Blog or YouTube channel. You can always make your public profile a private profile via your topic settings.
- How do I change the title of my public profile?
- The default title of your public profile is the first and last name you used when joining Dipity. To change the title of your public profile, simply edit the basic info section under topic settings.
- How do I change my registered email address?
- Once you are logged-in to your Dipity account, navigate to the "Settings" tab for your account. Here you can change your registered email address.
- How do I change my display name?
- Once you are logged-in to your Dipity account, navigate to the "Settings" tab for your account. Here you can change your display name.
- How do I change my password?
- Once you are logged-in to your Dipity account, navigate to the "Settings" tab for your account. Here you can change your existing password.
- How do I change my Profile picture?
- Once you are logged-in to your Dipity account, navigate to the "Settings" tab for your account. Here you can change your existing profile picture by copying and pasting an image URL or uploading a picture from your computer.
- How do I recover my password?
- In order to recover a lost or forgotten password, follow the "Recover Password" link on the Sign In pop up.
- Why does Dipity want me to set a timezome?
- It is important to set your timezone under the advanced settings section whether you are creating your timeline manually or using connected sources. Forgetting to set your timezone can result in events displaying incorrect timestamps. You may change your timezone at any time from your account settings page.
- How do I create a new topic?
- Once you are logged in you can create a new topic by clicking the "Create a Timeline" tab right under the Dipity logo. From here you will be directed to a Create a Timeline page, starting with the topic title and description.
- Do I have to connect sources to my timeline?
- Users can create timelines without using connected sources. Simply navigate to your timeline page and click the "Add an Event" to build your timeline manually.
- How do I remove sources from my timeline?
- Once you are logged in to Dipity, navigate to your "My Topics" page and then "topic settings." You can easily delete sources under the "Connected Sources" tab using the red "Remove" button.
- How can I connect a source that is not listed?
- If you don't see a service that you would like to connect to your timeline, let us know! Let us know using our GetSatisfaction feedback widget and we will look into integrating said service. In addition, we do offer custom API set ups for Partner clients.
- How do I delete a topic?
- Once you are logged in to Dipity, navigate to your "My Topics" page and then "topic settings." You should see the "delete this topic" button at the bottom of the page.
- How can I change the name of a topic I created?
- Once you are logged in to Dipity, navigate to your "My Topics" page and then "Topic Settings." You should be able to edit the basic info for the topic, including the topic name.
- Who can see / edit my topics? How can I restrict who sees / edits my topics?
- When creating a topic, you should see a number of options under the "permissions" section. The default settings are: Topics can be viewed by everyone and people who follow you can contribute. You can change these settings to allow anyone or specific users to edit or contribute your topic under the same tab.
- What do the Permission Settings mean? Edit, Contribute and View?
- Giving a user access to edit your timeline means they can add, edit and delete events as well as change the settings of your timeline. Giving a user access to contribute to your timeline means they can add events to your timeline, but cannot edit/delete events added by others. In addition, contributors cannot change the timeline settings. Finally, giving users access to view your timeline means they can view, but not make any changes to your timeline.
- How do I change permissions?
- You can change your permissions on the "Topic Settings" page under basic info. You change permissions as many times as you want.
- How can I add editors and contributors to a topic?
- When creating a timeline, you can grant access to all of your followers to edit your timeline. You can also invite individual users by entering their email addresses or username. You can edit your "permissions" at any time.
- Why does Dipity want me to set a timezome?
- It is important to set your timezone under the "Advanced Settings" section, both for manual events and connected sources. Forgetting to set your timezone can result in sources displaying incorrect timestamps. To change your timezone settings at any time, navigate to your "Topic Settings" page.
- I created a topic using web search and now I can't find it. Where is it?
- Topics created using websearch are by default created under the Dipity username. If you want to claim your topic, feel free to email us at email@example.com and we will be happy to consider changing the topic's owner.
- How can I display two topics at once?
- Any Dipity topic can be used as a source for another. Simply add the URL of any Dipity timeline as a source and it will be added to your topic.
- How are topic views calculated?
- Topic views are calculated based on each page view, not on unique users.
- How many topics can I create?
- Free accounts allow users to create 3 timelines in addition to their public profile.
- What is the default zoom level?
- The Default zoom level is the span of time you would like to see when accessing your timeline. Zoom levels ranges from 1 hour to 500 years and can be changed at any time. Use the scroll bar on the left side of the widget to figure out the best level for your timeline.
- How do I set default zoom level?
- Under "Topic Settings > Advanced Settings" you will find a drop down menu to set default zoom for your timeline. You can change this setting at any time.
- Why can't I set the default view to another view mode - flipbook, etc?
- Can I get metrics for my timeline?
- Stats and analytics are available on Dipity, but only for primary users. Join Dipity Premium today if you want to have stats and analytics for your timeline.
- Does Dipity support third party analytics?
- Dipity supports third party analytics, but only for Premium users. Join Dipity Premium today if you want to use third party analytics for your timeline.
- What date formats does Dipity support?
- Dipity supports the MM/DD/YYYY, ##:## AM/PM format standard for most US calendars. Also, users can write out dates such as April 24, 1984 or 24 April 1984. You can also enter non-specific dates like April 1984 or 1984. Do not use the European calendar format such as DD/MM/YYYY as this will result in an error. In addition writing dates out as MM-DD-YYYY will result in your event being recognized as having a BC date.
- How can I specify an event that has a duration or a start and end time?
- The correct format for duration is: "MM/DD/YYYY, H:M:S to MM/DD/YYYY, H:M:S"
- How is duration displayed on the timeline?
- Currently we only display duration on the event entry. We realize that many users would like to utilize a duration feature and Dipity plans to have this available soon after the 3.0 release, i.e. the end of 2010.
- How do I edit an event?
- In order to edit an event, open the event pop-up. If you are logged-in you should see an "edit" button in the top right hand corner of the event box. Follow this link to make and save changes to your event.
- How can I delete events?
- In order to delete an event, open the event pop-up. If you are logged-in you should see a "delete" button in the top right hand corner of the event box. Follow this link to remove the event from your timeline. You cannot undo event deletions.
- How does Dipity pick locations for my events?
- Dipity will guess your event location if you fail to add a location yourself. The event location will be determined based on information from the link, video, description, etc. If the location is incorrect, you can edit it manually at any time.
- How does geotagging work?
- You can manually add geographical locations (or geotags). You can also connect your Dipity account to Yahoo!'s FireEagle which will allow you to link other services with geotag data and have that information pushed back to Dipity.
- Can I use a Latitude & Longitude for geotagging?
- Yes, you can use Latitude and Longitude instead of a written location. The proper format is:
- Can I change the background image for my timeline?
- Free accounts offer the user 3 background styles. Premium accounts offer a wide variety of themes to choose from. Custom backgrounds are possible with a partner account.
- What are themes?
- Themes change the look and feel of your Dipity timeline, giving it a more professional and individual feel.
- How do I get access to premium themes?
- Sign up for a Dipity Premium account to get access to themes. To find our more about Dipity Premium email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can I create my own theme?
- Custom backgrounds for Dipity timelines are a feature of our Partner program. However, if you would like to try designing some of your own themes, we would love to see them.
Dipity & 3rd Party Services
- How do you deal with permissions from 3rd Party services like Twitter, Flickr etc.?
- We follow stated requirements for permissions from all 3rd party services. If you feel we are violating 3rd party permissions please let us know and we will make the necessary changes.
- I found my Flickr images on your site, how did that happen?
- We use the Flickr API to pull in images that match search terms. Because of the way you've setup your Flickr account settings, your images are available to any 3rd party application that uses the Flickr API. You can change this from your Account Settings Page on Flickr.
- Why is there a Dipity timeline for my Twitter account? Who created it?
- One of your friends is a member of Dipity. When they added their Twitter account we created pages for all of their friends so they could easily see what everyone was doing. You can claim this page by clicking the 'Claim' link in green and entering your Twitter password. This will verify your account with Twitter and give you control of this page. If you want this page deleted, please email us at email@example.com
- Do you support Facebook Connect?
- Dipity 3.0 supports Facebook connect!
- Does Dipity support oEmbed?
- Yes! oEmbed is an open standard to easily embed content from oEmbed providers into your site. The Dipity oEmbed endpoint will serve the widget embed code for any Dipity URL pointing to a timeline. To find out more about the oEmbed standard, have a look at oEmbed.com.
The dipity oEmbed endpoint is located at
It accepts any URL pointing to a dipity timeline and supports JSON (default) and XML.
- How can I embed a Dipity widget on my Wordpress.org blog?
- Dipity fully supports oEmbed, the open standard to easily embed content. If you host your own Wordpress blog and are able to access your theme's code, you can programmatically add Dipity to your Wordpress instance's whitelist.
Simply add the following line of code into your theme's
After doing that, you'll be able to easily embed any Dipity timeline into your content by enclosing its URL with
- Why can't I embed my Dipity timeline on my Wordpress.com blog?
- Hosted Wordpress accounts only allow a limited amount of sites to embed widgets on their blogs. We are working on making it on the WordPress.com whitelist so users can maximize their blogs' potential. On July 20, 2011 we took a step in the right direction by enabling oEmbed on Dipity.com timelines. Now that we have enabled oEmbed and verified it works on WordPress.org, we are one step closer to making it on to the WordPress.com whitelist. If you have a Wordpress blog and want to use Dipity embeds, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how you can help with the campaign.
- How can I embed a Dipity widget on my Wordpress.org blog?
- Dipity fully supports oEmbed, the open standard to easily embed content. If you host your own Wordpress blog and are able to access your theme's code, you can programmatically add Dipity to your Wordpress instance's whitelist. Simply add the following line of code into your theme's functions.php file:
After doing that, youll be able to easily embed any Dipity timeline into your content by enclosing a URL with
- Do Dipity embeds work with Ning?
- Not currently.
- How can I import information from my blog?
- You can add the RSS feed from any blog through the "Connect Sources" tool on your timeline. We also support Blogger, Wordpress and Tumblr, which you can connect to your timeline using your blog username and password.
- What is Dipity Premium?
- Dipity Premium is a paid version of Dipity that gives users even more tools to develop interesting and useful timelines. Features include unlimited timelines, more upload space, ads free embeds, customizable backgrounds, content moderation, Dipity Channels, and more. Click on the Upgrade tab to find out more.
- How do I sign up for Dipity Premium?
- To sign up for a Dipity Premium you must first register for a free Dipity account. Once you have a Dipity account navigate to the plans page to select the appropriate level. From there you will directed to the payment page where you can enter your credit card information.
- How do I become a Dipity Partner?
- Contact us at email@example.com for more information about partner accounts.
- Is there a trial version of Dipity Premium?
- We offer commitment free month-long trial memberships for Pro accounts. If you are interested in giving Dipity premium a try please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- How do I update my credit card information?
- To update your credit card information email us at email@example.com with "CC Update" in the subject line.
- How do I renew my membership?
- Depending on how we set up your account, we can automatically renew your membership on a monthly basis or let you decide when to stop using Dipity Premium. However, a great way to save some cash is by purchasing a 12-month account with Dipity