Alpha Gamma Delta is an international womenâ€™s fraternity that promotes academic excellence, philanthropic giving, ongoing leadership and personal development and above all, a spirit of loving sisterhood. Guided by our Purpose, Alpha Gamma Deltas strive to attain a higher standard, thereby improving their lives, the lives of those around them and the communities in which they live. Together, we continually work to inspire the woman and impact the world.
Created by kfouch on Apr 21, 2008
Last updated: 03/11/10 at 09:31 PM
Participation in GreekLifeEdu, a science-based course about the effects of alcohol on the body and mind, is made a requirement for Initiation.
The Leadership Institute, a cooperative effort between the Fraternity and the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation, is founded as a separate corporation with a mission to provide educational programming for the development and enhancement of leadership skills of women.
The Founders Memorial Foundation becomes the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation, which celebrated its 25th Anniversary in 1987.
The Junior Circle and Rose Sister program are established as part of the alumnae organization.
On our 75th Anniversary, International Headquarters once again moved to a new home, this time at its current location on Founders Road on the northside of Indianapolis. Several other Greek Headquarters are also in the College Park neighborhood.
Grand Council (now International Council) announced that the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation is officially designated as the Fraternity's international altruistic project
The first Leadership Consultants began their journey around North America in the summer of 1967.
Alpha Gamme Delta moves International Headquarters for a third time to Indianapolis, Indiana. The Fraternity purchased a red brick Georgian Colonial Mansion north of downtown and became immediate neighbors with four Greek headquarters.
Alpha Gamma Delta established the Founders Memorial Fund in 1959 to provide scholarships to collegians. The Founders Memorial Fund later became the Alpha Gamma Delta Foundation. Also in 1959, the Fraternity renamed the Central Office to its current title, International Headquarters.
Theta Sigma Upsilon national fraternity merged with Alpha Gamma Delta, adding 13 chapters to our roll. As a result, the Fraternity grew significantly, from 33,000 members to 40,000 members.
Fifty years after Alpha Gamma Deltaâ€™s founding, the Central Office moved from New York City to the home of May Jane Grimes Flemmer in Chatham, New Jersey. The entire office was located in two rooms.
With the outbreak of World War I and the United States entry into the war after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Grand President Julia Riser made the decision to postpone further Conventions until the war was over. However, Alpha Gamma Delta remained dedicated to serving the country in what ways they could.. The Fraternity conducted a blood drive, and chapters sent gifts and food for soldiers and others serving in the military. Throughout the war, the Fraternity maintained a Friendship Plan, whereby members and their families extended hospitality to relatives of other members who were stationed nearby while away from home.
Instead of celebrating Founders Day each year on May 30, which often interfered with the end of the school year and graduation celebrations for many collegians, the Fraternity decided to install International Reunion Day, a day to honor the Founders and reunite with sisters from around the country. International Reunion Day is held on the third Saturday of April each year.
The 1935 Convention was held in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, and was the first Canadian convention. Conference attendees shared in the sense of pride that the Fraternity had come through the depression years with 45 Chapters intact and with sound finances overall.
After the stock market crash in 1929, Alpha Gamma Delta decided to cancel the 1933 Convention to conserve its funds for national and chapter finances.
The 25th anniversary of the founding of Alpha Gamma Delta was held in Syracuse, our birthplace. The Fraternity was renamed, becoming the Alpha Gamma Delta International Fraternity and a scholarship loan fund for juniors, seniors and alumnae was created.
In the fall of 1927, the Fraternity opened their Central Office in New York City. Alpha Gamma Delta was one of the first Panhellenic groups to establish a central location for the routine business of the Fraternity. The office was located at the home of Louise Leonard, Grand President from 1917 to 1929.
Attendees helped to establish the current Executive Council structure, which was the first of its kind among all Panhellenic groups.
At the Eighth International Convention, the Fraternity adopted an official banner and the Alpha Gamma Delta Purpose, written by Founder Emily Butterfield.
After establishing the summer camp for underprivileged children as the national altruistic work for Alpha Gamma Delta at the Seventh National Convention, the first camp opened in Jackson, Michigan on June 19, 1920. The Boy Scouts donated their camp, including tents, cabins, and some equipment, and the Board of Health furnished blankets, sheets, pillow cases, and free daily medical service. Alpha Gamma Delta workers carried water as running water was not available. The Schmid Chemical Company supplied toothpaste, and a local resident, Mr. F.T. Lockwood, donated the use of his motorboat to deliver camp supplies and take the children out onto the lake. Alpha Gamma Delta members across the United States and Canada sent clothing for the children, much of it sewn themselves. According to camp records for that first year, donated clothing included 11 pairs of pajamas, 40 dresses, 22 bloomers, and 12 pairs of shoes.
At the Seventh National Convention, the honors of Epsilon Pi were established at the request of several chapters. In addition, Alpha Gamma Delta took over the support and management of a summer camp for underprivileged children as their national altruistic work.
With the installation of Tau Chapter at the University of Toronto in Canada, Alpha Gamma Delta became an international Fraternity. After Tau, a succession of other chapters was installed in Canada.
Due to the onset of World War I, Grand President May Willis Slocumb postpones Convention. In her letter to all chapters, she asked Alpha Gamma Delta sisters to raise money for the Red Cross and the War Relief Work Fund.
The first Mothers Club was established in the fall of 1915 at Delta Chapter at the University of Minnesota. Young mother Evelyn Healy Bowe banded together a group of other mothers to form an organization to help the undergraduate women, particularly to see them through the processes of financing, building, and furnishing a chapter home.
Alpha Gamma Delta attended the first Feast of Roses at the Fifth National Conference, held at St. Albans Bay, Minnesota.
At the Second National Conference held in April of 1909, the publication of the Quarterly was debated and Georgia Dickover was appointed National Historian. Each delegate present at the National Conference was asked to return to her chapter and secure a sufficient number of subscriptions to finance the Quarterly. The first Quarterly was printed on November 9, 1909. Members paid 75 cents a year to receive the publication.
In the fall of 2009, the Fraternity was admitted to the National Panhellenic Conference, then the National Panhellenic Congress, beginning our career as a national fraternity
The first National Convention was held on Syracuse campus, at the Alpha Chapter house. Twenty-seven Alpha Gams were present to adopt The Ritual, Constitution, and Armorial Bearings.
On June 16, 1905, 12 Wisconsin women were initiated in to the Fraternity, installing Beta Chapter at the University of Wisconsin.
After looking at many houses in the area, Ethel Brown and Estelle Shepard, two members of the housing committee, reported that a three-story, 13 room house at 761 Irving Avenue just one block from campus could be rented. The Founders immediate proclaimed this their first chapter house. However, the house came with its own set of issues. The plaster from the ceiling and the walls was known to come crashing down at any moment, and once fell into the bed which Georgia Dickover had just crawled out of.
During the fall, the Founders decided that the original Badge they had designed was not what they wanted. On November 19, 1904, they adopted the present pin, which was designed by J.F. Newman of New York City.
On Monday, May 30, 1904, our 11 Founders met at the home of Dr. Wellesley Coddington and officially founded the Fraternity. The chapter constitution and by-laws were read and adopted, suggestions were made for the ritual, and the Badge was first worn. In addition, Jennie Titus was elected as the 1904-05 president and red, buff, and green were chosen as Alpha Gamma Deltaâ€™s colors.