Milestones in the history of Rush University Medical Center, 1837 to date. For more information, contact the Rush Archives at http://rushu.libguides.com/rusharchives
Created by rusharchives on Aug 13, 2011
Last updated: 03/01/12 at 01:11 PM
Rush University Medical Center History has no followers yet. Be the first one to follow.
A state-of-the-art hospital tower opened on the Rush campus in January 2012. One of the nation's most advanced hospitals, the Tower houses acute and critical care patients, as well as technologically sophisticated surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic services. The Tower's many distinctions include tranquil rooftop gardens, universal accessibility and sustainable design. This 14-story hospital — at Harrison Street and Ashland Avenue — is the cornerstone of the Rush Transformation, an ongoing effort to build new facilities, renovate existing buildings and adopt new technology.
The Orthopedic Ambulatory Building Opens at Rush. The 220,000-square-foot building, located at the corner of Ashland Avenue and Harrison Street, offers comprehensive outpatient care on four floors. The building features 60 examination rooms, six x-ray and imaging suites, an imaging center with CT and two MRIs, full-service physical and occupational therapy facilities, orthotics and prosthetic services, and research facilities of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery. These include laboratories for Human Motion Analysis, Biomechanics, Tribology (the study of friction, lubrication and wear) and Implant Retrieval. This photo shows the building near its main entrance at the time of its opening.
In 2009, Rush implemented the Epic electronic medical record system. The system provides a platform for enhanced communication among clinicians and enables caregivers to collaborate in real time on patient cases. In this photo, Lorenzo F. Munoz, M.D. and Richard W. Byne, M.D. review an electronic patient record in the Epic System.
Rush celebrated the groundbreaking of the Tower Building with a celebration for students, faculty, and staff. In this photo, Rush President and CEO Larry Goodman, M.D. cuts a cake modeled after the new building. He is joined by members of the groundbreaking celebration committee.
RU Caring, an interdisciplinary, student-run community service organization, holds its first annual health fair. In this photo, a student speaks with a family at the 2009 RU Caring Back to School Health Fair.
Rush physicians find that mild cognitive impairment is an indicator of Alzheimer's disease or cerebral vascular disease, and should not be considered part of the normal aging process. The findings are from the landmark Religious Orders Study, the first study involving a large number of subjects who were followed until they developed mild cognitive impairment or dementia, and then died. Investigators base their findings on examinations of brain tissue from 180 people, including 37 with mild cognitive impairment, 60 without cognitive impairment, and the rest with dementia. All were Catholic nuns, priest or brothers who agreed to annual clinical evaluations and to donate their brains after death. David A. Bennett, M.D., pictured here in 2008, is the principal investigator of the study.
Rush is the only U.S. center participating in a study exploring the safety and tolerability of a new gene transfer agent delivered directly to the basal forebrain, an area of the brain almost universally affected by Alzheimer’s disease. If it proves safe, researchers will begin further studies to test whether this new agent is effective modifying the course of this devastating disease. The Rush Alzheimer's Disease Center is one of 30 Alzheimer's disease research centers across the country designated and funded by the National Institute on Aging(NIA). The NIA is the lead Federal agency conducting and supporting research on Alzheimer's disease and age-related cognitive change. The center's logo is pictured.
Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center is renamed Rush University Medical Center in September, 2003. The name change reflected the importance of education and research to the medical center's patient care mission. The logo pictured became the official corporate logo of the institution in 2003.
Rush becomes the first hospital in Illinois serving adults and children to earn Magnet status from the American Nurses Credentialing Center, the highest honor in nursing. It repeated this honor in 2006 and 2010. A magnet award pin is pictured here.
2001: Richard Berger, MD, an orthopedic surgeon on the medical staff at Rush, pioneers a new minimally invasive surgical approach to hip replacement that helps patients recover more quickly and with less pain. This photo features Richard Berger, M.D., (fifth from right) and his support staff.
The ribbon is cut at the Robert H. and Terri Cohn Research Building, a state-of-the-art research facility that brings much of Rush’s basic scientific research together under one roof. This photo shows the Cohn Building at the time of its opening in 2000.
The CORE Center, the nation’s first freestanding, specialized outpatient health care facility for HIV/AIDS and other infectious diseases, is completed. It combines the resources of Cook County Bureau of Health Services and Rush to prevent, treat and conduct research on HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and other related diseases that affect men, women and children throughout the metropolitan area.
Rush University Web site first launched at http://www.rushu.rush.edu This image shows how the Rush University website looked in 1997.
The Diagnostic Radiology/Nuclear Medicine Department at Rush, chaired by Jerry Petasnik, M.D., acquires the first positron emission tomography (PET) scan machine in Chicago. The new technology allows doctors to measure the activity levels of various organs, including the brain and heart, helping them to make better, more accurate treatment decisions.
Rush neurologist Frank Morrell, MD, develops multiple subpial transection, an innovative surgical procedure for the treatment of epilepsy. The surgery, first performed by neurosurgeon Walter Whisler, MD, offers hope for some patients previously considered untreatable, including children with a rare form of epilepsy called Landau-Kleffner syndrome, which affects the brain’s speech and communication centers. Image is of surgery originator Walter Whisler, M.D., conducting a lecture in 1979.
Well-known American artist Keith Haring (1958 -1990) created two murals for Rush in 1989. He is shown working on the mural in Pediatrics (left) and in the main Atrium Building hallway (right). Haring gained recognition in the alternative art and music community of downtown New York in the 1980's, but devoted much of his career to creating art as public works, including charities, hospitals, children’s day care centers and orphanages. Haring's style is easily identified by strong graphic lines and bright colors synonymous with the 80's, often containing social and political messages
Leo M. Henikoff, M.D. prepares to cut the cake on July 15, 1987 to celebrate the medical center's 150th birthday. Hundreds of Rush employees joined in a week-long party to observe the sesquicentennial, which also included a Festival of the Arts.
Dr. Henikoff was Rush's president and CEO from 1984 to 2002.
Rush opens the region’s first comprehensive breast cancer center. A team of oncologists, surgeons, radiation therapists and nurses work together to coordinate individualized care for each patient, producing a full range of the latest and most innovative treatment options.
Multiple Sclerosis Center Directors Dusan Stefoski, M.D. (left) and Floyd A. Davis, M.D. (right) fit a patient with an experimental cooling garment.
The cooling garment pictured was designed by NASA and used to screen a patient’s temperature sensitivity.
Dr. Davis found that some multiple sclerosis patients benefited from exposure to cool temperatures.
Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center installs the first nuclear magnetic resonance imaging machine in Illinois. The machine and its ancillary equipment weight approximately eight tons and have to be lowered into position by a crane through a hole in the basement wall of the Woman’s Board Cancer Treatment Center. The MRI machine as it appeared in 1983.
In June of 1982, the Graduate College of Rush University held its first commencement. Three Ph.D. students graduated with degrees in pharmacology, and two completed their degrees in immunology. The Graduate School also offered programs in anatomical sciences and physiology.
Richard D. Penn, MD, J. A. Paice, PhD, and W. Gottschalk, MD, achieve a medical first at Rush by implanting a computerized programmable pump into the abdomen of a patient with cancer. The pump automatically delivers painkillers into the patient’s spine.
Aerial View of the Rush University Medical Center Campus (then known as Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center). The Johnston R. Bowman Health Center's two towers can be seen in the lower left corner of this 1977 photo.
Rush University’s Academic Facility opens. It is renamed the A. Watson Armour III and Sarah Armour Academic Center in 1996. This photo depicts the Academic Facility as it appeared when it opened in 1976.
The first graduates of the Rush College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences gather for a group photo in June of 1975. Each year, the Rush University Commencement takes place in June at the UIC Pavilion.
The Rush University College of Health Sciences is established when it separates from the College of Nursing to become its own school within Rush University. In this picture, students work in a Rush University laboratory.
Mayor Richard J. Daley leads a parade of twelve wheelbarrows to the groundbreaking site of Rush's academic facility on November 15, 1973. Daley was Chicago's longest serving mayor and held office from 1955 to his death in 1976. Pictured on the far right is Mrs. Adelai Stevenson III.
First students admitted to Rush College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences.
Rush College of Nursing and Allied Health Sciences and the Rush Graduate College formed. The academic components of the Medical Center are designated Rush University. This image depicts the seal of the university.
Rush Medical College reopens with 98 students, first year, advanced standing and third year students matriculated.
Rush Medical College is re-activated and joins with Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Hospital to incorporate as Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center.
A surgical team administers Chicago’s first heart transplant at Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center in 1968.
Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center performed Chicago’s first heart transplant on December 27, 1968. The surgical procedure included a team made up of 30 surgeons, physicians, nurses and technicians in two adjacent operating rooms.
The transplant was a success, and the patient was able to return home 24 days later.
George M. Hass, MD, a professor of pathology at Rush, is the first to demonstrate the role of nicotine in the hardening of arteries and the thickening of blood that can lead to heart attack and stroke. This photo shows George M. Hass, M.D. in 1975.
Cardiologist John Graettinger, MD, working with Rush engineer Robert Sessions and other collaborators, develops one of the first implantable cardiac pacemakers in the world and the first used in a patient in Illinois.
Presbyterian Hospital Surgeons W. D. Shorey, M.D., J. H. Schneewind, M.D., and H. A. Paul, M.D. reattach the severed components of a patient's hand in three separate surgeries. This x-ray image demonstrates the original extent of the injuries.
Physical merger of Presbyterian Hospital and St. Luke’s Hospital is completed. St. Luke’s Hospital, founded in 1864, closes its doors. This 1925 photograph depicts a patient ward at St. Luke's Hospital during its prime.
Presbyterian and St. Luke's Hospitals officially merge to form a new organization: Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Hospital. Simultaneously, their respective nursing schools merge to form Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Hospital School of Nursing. Pictured: A Presbyterian-St. Luke's Student in uniform walks past the construction of what is now known as Kellogg Pavilion. The newly-merged hospital constructed the building to accommodate the significant influx of staff relocated from St. Luke's Hospital.
Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing opens Sprague Hall, which served as new nurses' quarters. It was later named Schweppe-Sprague Hall to honor both St. Luke's and Presbyterian's former nurses’ residences. This photograph depicts the angel sculpture over the hall's front entrance.
Sprague Home, the Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing’s home for nurses, is condemned by the city to make room for the Congress Highway (later renamed the Eisenhower Expressway). As the caption on this 1940 photograph from an annual report suggests, the building was outgrowing its usefulness by the late 1940s. The school relocated the nursing residence to Harrison Street.
James A. Campbell, MD, joins Presbyterian Hospital as a specialist in cardiology. He establishes Chicago’s first cardiac catheterization laboratory in the Department of Medicine at Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Campbell later becomes the first president and CEO of Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center. Campbell conducts a lecture for residents in this 1963 photograph.
The Charles and Laura Schweppe Memorial Nurses Home for St. Luke’s Hospital Training School for Nurses is completed and dedicated. It replaced the Stickney Building which had housed St. Luke’s nurses since 1897. St. Luke's nursing students in full uniforms enter the front entrance to Schweppe Hall in this 1948 photograph.
Rush Medical College suspends operations and closes its doors to new students. It continues, however, to exist as a corporate entity, with faculty teaching as “Rush professors” at the University of Illinois. This photograph includes the graduation portraits of the class officers for the Rush Medical College Class of 1942.
St. Luke’s Hospital recruits its first female residents. Anne Holovachka, M.D., a resident in Neuropsychiatry, graduated from Indiana University School of Medicine. Mary Martin, M.D., was a Borland Fellow in Pathology who graduated from Northwestern Medical School.
Rush Medical College alumnus (1905) and professor of clinical medicine at Rush, George Dick, MD, and his wife, pathologist Gladys Rowena Henry Dick, MD, contribute greatly to determining the cause and treatment of scarlet fever. At the time, the disease, which primarily affected children and had a 25 percent mortality rate, was native to North America and Europe. Together, they discovered the cause of scarlet fever and developed a test to assess susceptibility to scarlet fever. This image is from the packaging of the antitoxin administered to patients who demonstrated immunity after taking the test developed by George and Gladys Rowena Henry Dick. This antitoxin was commonly administered to patients until antibiotics became commonly available.
The Rawson building at the corner of Harrison and Wood Streets was originally known as the Rawson Laboratory of Medicine and Surgery. The cornerstone laying ceremony took place on a snowy November 17, 1924. Contents of the cornerstone box included copies of publications, photographs and other documents from Rush Medical College and University of Chicago (RMC and U of C were affiliates of each other from 1898 to 1924). The gentlemen pictured are unidentified faculty of Rush Medical College and the University of Chicago.
Rush Medical College professor of surgery, Arthur Dean Bevan, MD, is the first to administer the combination of ethylene-oxygen in Presbyterian Hospital during a surgery, aided by anesthetist Isabella Herb, MD. This formulation was less toxic for both patients and surgical staff, and the innovation is quickly adopted by hospitals throughout the country. This photo depicts a demonstration of ethelene-oxygen administration by Dr. Herb around 1930.
The device, then called “an electric cardiographic machine,” was the gift of philanthropist Nettie Fowler McCormick. Mrs. McCormick purchased a second machine for the hospital in 1915, and the hospital wired the centralized new machine to every patient room.
Physicians considered the machine to be a huge step forward in diagnostic care. In 1914, a staff member remarked on the machine pictured: “I have learned more about hearts in the past year than in all other years of my practice put together.”
Presbyterian Hospital School of Nursing receives funding from the O.S.A. Sprague Memorial Fund for a new nurses' home. The new building, located on Congress Street directly across from the hospital, was named the Sprague Home. It contained room for 160 nurses, in addition to educational and recreational space. This image is of Sprague Home in 1920.
Rush alumnus and faculty member James B. Herrick, MD, is the first to identify clot formation in coronary arteries as the cause of heart attacks.
Rush Medical College faculty member and cardiologist, James B. Herrick, MD, (Rush, class of 1888) discovers sickle cell anemia. Ernest E. Irons (Rush class of 1903), the intern who first brought the abnormal cells to Herrick’s attention, later becomes dean of Rush Medical College, 1924-1936.