Recent Event Highlights: Earl Dolive (student), Edgar H. Johnson, Edgar H. Johnson, and 13 more...
Created by dipity on May 4, 2009
Last updated: 04/23/10 at 08:27 PM
Other examples of 'New Coke' fiasco?Atlanta Journal Constitution (blog)I know that Roberto Goizueta was a hallowed corporate figure and one of the best this country has seen in the last 100 years. Warren Buffett certainly loved ...and more »
A Brief History of Emory’s Goizueta Business School As Emory transitioned from its original campus in Oxford, Georgia, to its present location in DeKalb County Georgia, The Board of Trustees met on February 18, 1919, just 83 days after the close of World War Two, to consider the creation of a school of business administration. Dean of the College, Howard W. Odum recommended that it would provide “public service to city, county, state, and national governments; training for business methods in the operation of community industry, both private and public; training for social efficiency alongside financial development – these constitute one of the obligations of the University to its constituency. Dr. Edgar H. Johnson was promoted as the person to lead the formation of the Emory School of Economics and Business Administration. Johnson, spent his summer vacation visiting similar schools at Harvard and Chicago.Classes were organized for the autumn of 1919 and the school took up residence in the Law Building. By 1925 there were 5 faculty and 145 students. Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration degrees were conferred on eight candidates. Despite the harsh realities of the depression, The 1930s were a time of some progress. Three women earned degrees during this time. In 1938 the school moved to the Fishburne building. In 1940 Dean Johnson retired after 21 years at the helm of the business school. The future looked bright for the school as the economy slowly recovered with 7 faculty, 133 students, and 21 degrees earned. Boyce Martin entered as the new dean from his post as assistant dean of the Harvard Graduate School of Business Administration. His short tenure saw the United States entering World War Two. Enrollment was decimated as students bravely answered the call to serve in the military. After Robert Mizzell took over as dean in 1942, the school merged with the college. Faculty numbered only one member during this time. But just as the light of the business school at Emory began to flicker, a benefactor emerged to rekindle the flame of Emory’s business school. Before the war had ended, the Rich Foundation committed two hundred and fifty thousand dollars for the construction of a new building for the business school. An additional one hundred thousand dollars was also donated to resuscitate the school. Dean George Craft worked to reorganize the curriculum and bring on staff. The trend at the time was to train individuals for specific trades. The objective for Emory’s business school was to provide a broader, liberal arts based education. After the newly built Rich building was moved into in 1947. George Siefkin was installed as the fifth dean of the Emory School of Business Administration. Under Siefkin’s leadership, the school focused on the “public service” that the board of trustees had agreed upon back in 1919. A series of research and publications entitled “Studies in Business and Economics” set about to solve problems that deterred business in the south. After well publicized success, the effort was emulated in different regions of the country. With its invigorated aims, curriculum, facilities, and endowment, Emory’s Business School had stormed back to prominence. The gains were highlighted with admittance into the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business, the only one of fourteen applying schools awarded full membership that year. The 1950s saw the business school flexing its newly developed muscles. The Society for the Advancement of Management was formed, Emory was listed on an approved list by the New York State Board of Certified Public Accountants Examiners. the school was elected an institutional member of the American Management Association, The first Advertising Institute was held, and in 1954 the Master of Arts in Business Administration program was begun. The first female student since the 1930s was admitted in the same year. In 1956 the Kellogg Foundation donated $130,000 to set up training courses for hospital administration, the only program of its kind. John Goff was named as acting Dean in 1958, followed by Guy Trump in 1959. Emory gained further national recognition with the Advancement Management Program, as well as a shorter course for middle management. Held in the resort facilities of Sea Island’s Cloister and Callaway Gardens, renowned faculty from across the country led courses for both established and up and coming businessmen from Georgia and many other states, a precursor to the executive education programs of today. Several conferences that brought in notable speakers and garnered much interest from the community included “World Trade Clinics,” “Georgia Bankers Study Conference,” and the “Credit Union Institute.” The 1960s were a time of further progress. An Evening program in economics was begun in 1960. Emory’s MBA program was accredited in 1961 by the American Association of Collegiate Schools, and was among the first group of applying masters programs. Further acknowledgement of the original aims of “service to the public” came with the organization of the Advisory Committee on Business Community Relations. It was led by 1939 Emory graduate Marcus Bartlett of WSB-TV. In 1964, the moniker of the school changed once again to the Emory Graduate School of Business, reflecting the growing importance of the then ten year old Masters program. As Dean James Hund succeeded Dean Guy Trump in 1965, the list of top American colleges producing the country’s leading business executives included Emory for the first time. A unique program that was begun in the mid 1960s was the business games. Taking the format from war games developed by Rand Corporation, students from as many as 40 colleges took place in the cutting edge computer based competition. An MBA in Accounting was started in 1968, the same year Clark Myers was named Dean. The Focus of the Seventies was for the school to strengthen its positioning as a preeminent institution in the south. Great strides were made under Deans Myers, and Dean Albert Bows who assumed the role in 1975. A complete renovation was undertaken and additional space was added to the Rich Memorial Building at a price tag of two million dollars. A dedication ceremony was held in 1977. Despite its regional aspirations, the school continued to gain notoriety beyond its southern reaches, establishing the Center for the Study of Corporate Policy and Direction, the first of its kind in the United States. It also gained notice for its impressive computer center with 32K microcomputer, two microprocessors and direct links to the University’s main computer. 1979 brought the advent of the Executive MBA program. Based on similar programs at Chicago and Wharton, and the first such program in the South, the executive MBA program paved the way for future success for the school in the 1980s. Dean George Parks began his tenure in 1979. In 1980 Emory Graduate School of Business gained affiliation with the New York Management Center, a prestigious achievement, with membership including top business schools such as the University of Chicago, New York University, and the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. A unique joint program in divinity and business was begun in the early 1980s as well. In 1986, as John Robson began his term as Dean, the Gourman Report ranked Emory as the 26th best business school in the country. With Dean Robson’s departure, Al Hartgraves served as acting dean until Ronald Frank was brought on board in 1989. The 1990s saw the Emory Business School shed its original regional scope and spread its wing both nationally and internationally. Emory President James T. Laney pushed for this change of perspective for the entirety of Emory University as preparations were underway for the world to descend upon Atlanta for the 100th Olympic Games. An Evening MBA program was added with 50 students in 1992 at the new executive center in Buckhead. In 1994, Emory Business School was renamed the Roberto C. Goizueta Business School, and soon after ground was broken for an impressive new building. Roberto Goizueta, former CEO and Chairman of Coca-Cola had guided the company through one of the greatest levels of growth in corporate history. Just as importantly, Goizueta was the embodiment of principled leadership and other values that translated as important hallmarks for the school. The new building dedication took place just three weeks before the death of Roberto Goizueta. In 1998 Dean Tom Robertson returned to the states from London Business School to lead the school. In the same year the Woodruff Foundation donated 20 million dollars in honor of Roberto Goizueta and the Goizueta Foundation also donated an additional $20 million dollars. As the millennium came to a close the Goizueta business school was well position to take its place among the great business schools of the world. The first decade of the new millennium has been marked by the momentum of a marked rise in rankings for all programs, both nationally and internationally. In 2002, two programs were started, A modular Executive MBA program and a doctoral program. A fundraising effort called the Goizueta Leadership Alliance led to funding for initiatives, most notable being the 33 million dollar Goizueta Foundation Center for Research and Doctoral Education. The facility was dedicated in 2005, just after the arrival of Dean Lawrence Benveniste. The school also had a cultural component added to it with the donation of an extensive and impressive modern art collection by Barbara and Ronald Balser. The school has aggressively expanded the evening program and in 2007 added a Real Estate program. 9/7/2007 The life of business education at Emory has seen definite highs and lows. The business school was birthed on the heels of on war and was decimated by another. But it survived and has seen its way though the depression, the dot com bubble burst, and other booms and busts of the last one hundred years. Today some question the viability of traditional campuses and their expensive facilities. But despite what naysayers may project, The business school at Emory has first and foremost been about people and will continue in its pursuits of public service and business education regardless of the constraints of time and space or the lack there of as it careens headlong towards its second century.