LaGuardia contributes nearly $11 billion in economic activity to the New York-New Jersey metropolitan region, according to the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey. Nearly 8,000 people are employed at the airport. More than 23 million passengers traveled through LaGuardia in 2008.
Astoria Studios opened in 1920, and soon became a home for Paramount Pictures. More than 100 movies were produced here in the '20s. In 1942, the U.S. Signal Corps took over the studio, which became known as the Army Pictorial Center. The studios were designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1976. After the building fell into disuse, the title was transferred to the City of New York, and in 1982 the city leased the property to real estate developer George S. Kaufman and his partners.
IRT service, which had already come to the Bronx and Brooklyn, expands to Queens. In the southern part of the borough, the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company builds "an elevated line along Liberty Avenue through Ozone Park and Woodhaven to Richmond Hill in 1915 and along Jamaica Avenue from the Brooklyn border through Woodhaven and Richmond Hill to Jamaica during 1917-1918."
Also, known as the 59th Street Bridge, The Queensboro was originally called Blackwell's Island Bridge, after an earlier name for Roosevelt Island. (Photo courtesy Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division)
The New York State legislature established the Greater City of New York, consolidating the five boroughs into a single city. In a nonbinding referendum in 1894, the Town of Flushing had opposed the move. Much of Queens was still farmland and "open terrain."
The county was originally three times as big as it is now. It included all of Nassau and extended to Suffolk. The county was supposedly named for Catherine of Braganza, the Portuguese princess who married King Charles II of England. (Photo courtesy NYPL Digital Collection)